CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

No Sew Fleece Blankets - Tutorial

I made each of my kids a no sew fleece blanket.  I had heard how easy these were to make and had been wanting to make one for some time now, but just never got around to it.  With the colder weather finally settling in I decided to go for it.

I found a lot of great tips in various places online, so my steps for making these come from many of those who have blanketed before me. 

My kids like a big blanket that they can wrap all around themselves, so I started off by getting 2 yards of two coordinating fleeces for each blanket.  I found this pretty nature print for my daughter with a matching solid blue, and a space print for my son with a matching solid orange.


I started off by trimming the selvage from each piece of fleece.  I then matched up the two coordinating pieces, wrong sides together, to square them.


Once the two pieces were square and even, I cut 6 inch squares from each corner.  You would adjust this depending on the size of your blanket and your preference of the size of the fringe.


Next, using my cutting mat, rotary cutter and scissors, I cut a 1 inch wide fringe along each side, making sure to cut through both pieces of fabric.  I cut in 6 inches to match the 6 inch square I cut in the corners.


The last part is to tie all of those fringe pieces.  I just used a basic overhand knot and doubled it to be sure they stay tied.


All in all, these are pretty easy to make.  It did take me some time to figure it all out as I went about it my first time, but by the time I got to the second blanket, I had a better idea and the blanket came together a little more quickly.

And best of all, my kids love them!  They sleep with them every night and bring them downstairs to snuggle with while doing homework or watching tv.  Definitely worth my time!

2 comments: